Dine Well To Sleep Well

Sleep is essential for good health but it doesn’t come easily to everyone. Insomnia, late night work, stress… many reasons can cause sleeping issues. But you can help it!

“Although the research is a bit spotty when it comes to which foods help or harm sleep, anecdotal evidence does suggest that certain items consumed right before bedtime are more likely to be “sleep promoters” while others may be “sleep stealers,” says Russell Rosenberg, Ph.D., CEO of the National Sleep Foundation.”

Let’s see what are the best foods to eat before bed and how they help your sleep:

Dine Well To Sleep Well - superhealthycooking.net - The best food to eat before bed

The Main Dinner Components

Build in your dinner any one of these: Lobster or Prawns, Turkey, Hummus or anything with chickpeas, Walnut or some Milk. The miracle component is called tryptophan.

Tryptophan is a sleep-enhancing amino acid that helps make serotonin and melatonin, the “body clock” hormone that sets your sleep-wake cycles.

(Check out our Lemon & Prawn Spaghetti recipe)

To go for fish is always a good idea. Tuna, Halibut and Salmon are high in vitamin B6, which your body needs to make melatonin and serotonin. Other foods high in B6 include Raw garlic and Pistachio nuts.

(Check out our Maple Salmon recipe)

Sweet Potatoes not only provide sleep-promoting complex carbohydrates, they also contain that muscle-relaxant potassium. Other good sources of potassium: Potatoes, Papaya, Lima Beans.

Choose The Right Side

Dine well To Sleep Well from superhealthycooking.net

Kale

Green leafy vegetables like kale are loaded with calcium, which helps the brain use tryptophan to manufacture melatonin. Spinach and mustard greens are other good options.

(Check out our Kale Chips recipe)

Dine well To Sleep Well from superhealthycooking.net

Lettuce

Lettuce contains lactucarium, which has sedative properties and affects the brain similarly to opium.

Dine well To Sleep Well from superhealthycooking.net

Complex (good) Carbohydrates

Fortified cereal, Quinoa, Barley and Buckwheat are excellent choices.

Snack On These

Bananas and Almonds help promote sleep because they contain the natural muscle-relaxants magnesium and potassium.

Snack on Cherries: they are one of the few natural foods that contain melatonin. Keep some Tart Cherry Juice in the fridge (but forget all that sugar, use a little honey instead).

The Last Resort

Dine well To Sleep Well with superhealthycooking.net

The root of the Valerian plant has been shown in some studies to speed the onset of sleep and improve sleep quality. Motherwort, Chamomile and Catnip brews will help make you drowsy as well.

Grab it Here:

Advertisements

22 Comments Add yours

1. Jacqueline says:

Although I don’t have any issues sleeping, I think this post could help someone who wants to end their sleepless cycle.

2. Sandy KS says:

I am going to try this. I do have issues when it comes to sleeping. I will go two to three days and not be able to sleep. till my body says enough and I have to sleep.

Liked by 1 person

1. It definitely worth a try! Won’t work overnight…but try and adapt these ingredients into your evening meals. Come back and tell us about it, we would love to hear how it goes! 🙂

3. Elizabeth O. says:

I think regardless if you have sleeping problems or not, it would be nice to eat healthier ingredients that will help your body to sleep more. Sleep is something that I value very much, if I don’t get enough I don’t feel productive and I have less energy for the day ahead.

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s right! We cheat on sleeping way too often.. and we shouldn’t because it effects our whole life.

4. alisonrost says:

What a great post .. so many good ideas. I’ve always heard magnesium helps someone sleep .. but hadn’t heard of the others. Thank-you so much. It’s always fun to learn something new!

Liked by 1 person

5. So lettuce = opium? Interesting! Never heard of tryptophan before, but I knew there was something in turkey that promoted sleep.

Liked by 1 person

1. It does not contain opium 😀 But I found it very interesting as well! You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucarium

6. Dreammerin says:

Thank you so much! I love your tips! Amazing reminder for all of us!

7. Violinkit says:

Right I didn’t realise that these food groups promoted a healthy nights sleep. Thankfully I eat loads of these foods anyway and actually have no problem sleeping generally.

8. Kathy Myers says:

I have trouble sleeping. I am going to have to try this and see if that helps.

1. Let me know how it goes! 🙂

9. Although I don’t have trouble sleeping, I believe in the power of food and the food types that you’ve listed are all great choices for overall health too. I’ve never heard of Tryptophan so that’s a good thing to know. Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

1. Glad you found it useful!

10. dreamingloud says:

Fortunately I never had issues with sleeping but it is very true that food can really help with good sleep. I was always told to have a glass of warm milk before going to bed, it will help sleep and digestion

11. Ana Ojha says:

Thanks for sharing this informative post. I’ll follow it from today itself. As I’m feeling insomniac since last few months!

Liked by 1 person

1. I hope you will see improvement!

12. Lindsey says:

These are some great tips. I’m a terrible sleeper who loves took. Think I will check out your prawn and spaghetti dish x

Liked by 1 person

13. Great article. I think, the Indian Ayurveda system also suggests all the same things. Also adding a pinch of turmeric powder helps in healing and sleeping by a whole lot.